Wednesday, May 5, 2010

new developments

Apparently my school is adding another program. It's a bit exciting and yet a little intimidating, too. I'm designing a course for both the bachelors and the graduate level classes. The part I'm looking forward to is having more mature students in the school - it's targeted at working professionals, business-world types wanting to increase their understanding of law in a mixed Czech/English environment... at least that's how I understand it as of yesterday, but nothing is definite yet, so things may evolve.

I'm trying to get the school to provide me with one-on-one Czech classes. They're giving the handy-man/driver guy personal English classes and he doesn't have to speak with anyone other than the Czech staff, so hopefully I can squeeze in some Czech courses as I do deal with a number of native Czech speakers - and if these classes stay Czech/English, I'll be dealing with even more. Right now I can only order beer, green or black tea, some juices, say something is too big/small, answer yes/no, ask "where is ...", say how many (but without the correct conjugation), express disgust/frustration, and identify the base foods in a dish on a menu - meats, fruits, vegetables - basically I suck. And, yes, I should acknowledge that just because I can do that, it doesn't mean I actually do do it when the appropriate time comes... I have zero speaking confidence, and hanging with my Czech friends doesn't help me to increase that - it makes it worse. I end up either using English or they do it for me.

Coral keeps walking in to walls and doors after having been hit in the head, again, but other than that she's fine.

I don't think there's anything else new. WAIT - Coral has won some poetry contests through some on-line writing communities she's joined. I am going to leave you with that - she doesn't like me reading her stuff, only the bits she chooses to share, so I doubt she'll tell you anything more unless you ask her directly. Now, I really am going to leave you. Hezky den!

No comments: