Tuesday, May 25, 2010

thanks for the insight kid!

Tonight Coral and I went to a dinner thing - it was hosted in a gallery/studio/unconventional living space sorta place... we both were a little unclear on the exact dynamics until we got there - this will come in to play again.

It was a nice evening, the food was great, set price for all you can eat, handrolled and fresh... the company was awesome, lots of laughter and all of that, some sweet old and obscure vinyl playing in the background and a friendly dog that walked the table, resting her head in each lap, looking for some love and a bit of food.

The view was beautiful, the night warm, the sunset was swirls of pinks and purples hanging over the clay rooftops, and the glass domes throughout the city were glowing. The gallery was hung with huge pieces reminiscent of what I was doing on a smaller scale back in CA before the move... it was pretty sweet.

I ended up having a conversation with the chef - he told me about renovating the flat we were in as he was the first occupant after some squatters... and all the major life changes he'd gone through a few months prior (quit his job, lost a long term relationship, moved - all in a week). He then talked about his future plans for the flat and the cooking business he's developing and it was all very cool and inspiring.

I've met the guy a few times before. Based upon my previous interactions with him, nothing overtly negative, nothing "wrong" or "bad" or anything like that, but based upon my previous impressions, one of indifference towards others based upon my exposure to him in his workplace, if I'd known I was going to his home I probably would have taken a pass on the night. Apparently Coral thought we were going to a "real" restaurant and if she'd known it was in a home she would've taken a pass as well.

We talked about it on the walk home... what we'd just done versus our expectations, and the people we'd just shared a meal with... she mentioned the cook was a pretty cool guy and I mentioned that I'd met him on quite a few occasions before and my previous impressions, which I had been forced to re-evaluate during the course of the evening. She pointed out, and I love my kid for pointing out things I tend to overlook, that when we'd met he must have been pretty unhappy as he had a lot of negative things going on, and obviously didn't like his job - that he's probably happier and more relaxed now. And she's right. I'm glad I ended up where we were this evening. I got to see someone I didn't really know in a different light and it was a pleasant one. Every now and then it's nice to be wrong.

No comments: