Tuesday, May 4, 2010

when throttling won't fix it

Coral called me in the middle of a lesson today... she has a knack for that. This time she had something to say but was really beating around the bush - when it finally came out she had called to ask if she could skip out on babysitting as she'd gotten hit in the head at school - by 2 people at once... during PE. This is a child who is not supposed to be engaging in any potentially physical sports as she cannot get hit in the head again.

I couldn't finish the conversation at that time, so I told her to go home and got off the phone. I called her once I was done and here's what happened...

Coral decided that even though she is dealing with ongoing headaches and dizziness she should be running around playing handball, jumping, crashing and bouncing off of people. She managed to get elbowed in the head again by two people at once!

We've covered all the potential devastating possibilities of another head injury, she's still dealing with the aftermath of a fall earlier this year in which she didn't even strike her head, and she has a football (soccer) helmet she knows she must wear even if it's for a little easy kick-around. Despite all this, my helmetless, nearly hairless daughter jumped in to a game and got clobbered.

I wanted to throttle her. Seriously. But I suppose that would be counterproductive now, wouldn't it?

No comments: