Monday, May 3, 2010

a new sight - the Serbian situation

Usually my walk to school consists of navigating busloads of Italian high school students on a class trip and dog poop. I don't particularly enjoy either one. Today I was making my way down the street when I saw something rather unusual. A police car had stopped in the middle of the intersection and the officers were exiting the car and crossing the street. Two officers and a dark haired woman approached a big studded wooden door and knocked. A man answered and a conversation took place - it's about this point that I drew even and actually passed by... I'd been watching for a few moments as I walked towards them.

Nothing so far unusual, right? Here's the thing - the door the police were knocking on was the Serbian Embassy. I was always under the impression that local government was supposed to stay far far away from any embassy related business... Apparently, the police make house calls instead.

As a definite side note - I've decided that of all the nationalities I've met so far I really like Serbian guys. They have a bit of the Eastern Europe/Balkan guy thing but aren't too caught up in the macho crap - still gentlemanly a bit more relaxed and "real" than their neighbors - the guys I've met have been able to make some pretty honest assessments about the state of their nation, the perception of their people, the difficulties they face working through a corrupt society and how they fit in to all that - and do it with a combination of warm, intellect and friendliness that is rare... I don't know, maybe you can expand this to Macedonian and possibly Slovenian - although technically not Balkan... and I don't have enough male friends from the surrounding Balkans states to offer an opinion on their men so I'll refrain from commenting any further. Albanian women are really friendly and are also quite warm and engaging - both Macedonian and Montenegrin are women as well. The people I've met from the region are so friendly and welcoming that if I decide to move on, yet remain in Europe, it's a region I'd give a second look to.


No comments: