Saturday, June 5, 2010

the kid's choir



The kid's school has a few dances each year... the cool thing about them is that they're open to all the students, K-12, and the parents - it's great to see so everyone interacting and out their dancing - the families are for the most party close and you'll see any number of Moms and teachers out there shaking it up on the dance floor with their kids and students.

Today was the last dance of the year - a 50s themed sock hop. The really special thing about this was that most of the music, not all but quite a large percentage, was provided by the students - some just groups of students who had practiced and practiced in preparation, others by the choir students who had really worked hard organizing the various parts and harmonies. My kid is a member of her school's choir.

I wish I had a functioning camera so I could have taken photos for you, but she was beautiful! Maybe I'll be able to get a few from someone else that was there - if so I'll make sure to post them here.

These events are also really nice for me to have a chance to meet a few other parents - I'm not involved in the religous aspects of the school so we don't have any of the church or mission stuff to chat about or bond over - and we don't cross paths in an other aspect of life, either... sometimes when prepping for stuff like this I feel like the odd man out - but once I show up I am reminded that while we may differ drastically politically and religiously we're all connected in wanting the best of our kids and in being present and making our best efforts to ensure their happiness. It's nice to see the other adults my monkey interacts with regularly, and witness how much they care for her too. None of you need to worry about her - she is really well loved, the world over.









No comments: