Monday, June 14, 2010

sisters?!?

Last night the Kid asked me to cut her hair - it was a bit more like a trim, but shorter and choppier than it was originally... this morning she asked me to dye it a bright, bright deep red. Done and done.

Tonight I had dinner with some CS friends while the Kid was at the movies with her friends - she joined me late in the evening. There were a few people there she knew and one or two who were new to me also. Across the table was my friend and this other guy I hadn't met before. We had all been talking, for quite a while, planning the September event, when she showed up. I introduced her to everyone, one by one,

"This is my daughter."

The guy I didn't know, sitting next to my friend, looked at me and said, "Sister."

I smiled, "Daughter."

I think he thought maybe there was a language miscommunication or something, which is kind of funny as I was speaking my native language and he wasn't - but understandable all the same - he looked me in the eyes and said, "Don't you mean sister?"

"No, she's my daughter."

He turned to our mutual friend, "Is she really her daughter?"

Hi laughed and nodded, "Daughter."

And the poor guy looked back and forth like we were all messing with him.

The Kid thought it was pretty funny - I guess he brought it up again when I wasn't paying attention.

No comments: