Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Our last day in London

Today was the final full day of our visit here... tomorrow we catch a flight back to Prague - hopefully she will be allowed to re-enter the country and finish out her school year... Hopefully.

We got in a full day of shopping at Harrod's, followed by a very rainy walk around Leicester Square and back down Charing Cross Road in pursuit of some antiquarian bookdealers. The Kid and I made our way back to Foyles, and on a spur of the moment impulse we caught a showing of The Mousetrap - the longest running play in London - it's been continuous since 1958 or something. I grew up loving Agatha Christie and as a teenager think I read every book she wrote so appreciated the performance quite a bit.

I almost forgot to mention our lunch - a huge affair at the Georgian Restaurant in Harrod's. We had the lunch buffet. It was overwhelming and delicious. It's now 10:30 pm and not a single one of us is hungry yet! After that sumptuous meal I can't imagine anything that could follow it up - think I'll have to wait till breakfast when it's a new day.

Yesterday we had another excellent mean - can't remember if I mentioned it already, so just in case I didn't - if you ever have a chance to try GBK - OMG GO!!! It was the best burger I've ever had. We each ordered something entirely different and we all declared it to be the best burger we've ever had. GBK stands for Gourmet Burger Kitchen, and it truly, truly is.

I'm tired. The beds here are awesome. Even with her kicking me and elbowing me in the head my sleep has been good. I've been waking up tired, but I think it's cause I'm getting a taste of a "good night's sleep" and left wanting more... haven't even started catching up! This just reinforces for me how much I need a good bed - one that has some support to it and isn't just a filler mattress purchased for a short-term rental apartment that the owner never even sits on to check out. This summer, this is one of my objectives. A new bed. I mentioned it to friends about a month ago, as they were headed out the door to Ikea to purchase their own bed and get off the futon they'd been sleeping on... And they got quite a comfortable bed at a fairly reasonable price (reasonable in US terms, not necessarily "reasonable" in Czech, but not bad either) and so I'm looking forward to repeating the experience. Soon I hope.

I started to write this as my FB status, but realized this is probably a more fitting spot, one where you can all read it...


little less then 24 hours left in this city, and then back to Prague. My Mom is awesome, I love her and am so grateful for this trip, the shared experiences and the chance to see her, meet her friends, and witness her beautiful heart.

It's all true. She's wonderful.

No comments: