Monday, May 4, 2009

cost of living... may update 2009

On my way home I stopped at a little fruit and veggie market by the bus stop. I knew I had steak at home and really wanted to add mashed potatoes and a salad for a complete dinner....

I picked up - 10 white potatoes, an onion, and two cucumbers - the total cost: 45 crowns... translated in to USD... $2.20.

Earlier today I had to go buy health insurance for my visa renewal. I have something very similar to the coverage you get through the governmental system... basic health insurance (pregnancy and dental is not included but doctors and medications are). I needed to buy a full year policy - total cost (including the 30 crown fee for the postal transfer): 5,000 crowns.

Let me make this clear for you - I paid $250 USD for a full year of no cost medical care and medication.... the costs for hospitalization.... which I'm not planning on using.... 50 crowns per night. That includes everything... converted amount, USD - $2.50.

3 comments:

c and the boys said...

Would be nice if we could convince the US to do the same!

Unknown said...

In the end I don't get if you are happy or unhappy... perhaps some terms of comparison would be nice :-)

could you pass the peace please said...

ah yes- as most readers are in the US i tend to forget that not everyone has the same reference points... you can pay $1 USD per cucumber, whereas I spent $2.40 for 2, plus 10 potatoes and an onion.... very happy!

and my insurance - for somewhat similar coverage in the US i've been quoted between $300 and 700 USD per month. here, $250 for the year.

that is crazy!