Wednesday, May 27, 2009

oh irony of ironies

I was walking home today and thinking about my friends... and how the people I know here have differing view and opinions on many matters yet we manage to maintain all this threads of friendship going through the differences... how I appreciate people for who they are in even when I don't agree with them. And my views on the whole gay marriage debate/Prop 8 thing (which is nowhere near the radar over here) have surfaced some of those differences...

I posted a link to a free sticker which reads I love love... and then something else that is in support of gay marriage.... a few people responded that they don't support it. That's cool, I know a lot of people, both sides of the world, who don't. But I deleted the comments cause I didn't want them under my name. My name, my link, my prerogative.

Well, my note stating that I deleted the comments has prompted a bigger impact than the whole gay marriage thing. Which is sort of funny and sort of sad. Sad, in that, in the time that I posted and the time that I got home, one of those people decided to delete me from his friend's list. That really does make me sad as I enjoyed his input and thoughts and dialogue, in person dialogue, and was hoping to have a conversation with him... but apparently it's not to be - he leaves in the morning for a few months and is not the type of person to change his mind so I don't believe I'll hear from him upon his return. And that makes me sad.

Funny, not in a ha-ha way, in that my little bit of censorship, which is admittedly censorship in a certain fashion, is more outrageous and garners more attention than governmentally endorsed discrimination.

Well, I was quite honest in my FB comment that I truly do appreciate my friends for who they are - even when we are so divergent. At the same time, I don't need to spread what I feel detracts from me as an individual to those whom I love to the depths of my soul. I don't need to have my name carrying around messages that whittle away at people I love and who already are facing unnecessary hurdles (uh, Prop 8, that is the definition of an unnecessary hurdle) in a struggle for genuine equality and acceptance in modern society.

When I carry comments under my name about things that matter, not crap like how should I cut my hair or where to eat lunch, but matter on a more personal scale, it's like I endorse them. And I don't. And I understand when people delete stuff I write too. And they do. But it doesn't mean that I am rejecting them out of hand - they're part of who my friends are, and that means those people writing are people I care about too. So I don't deny or disregard and you're welcome to post it to my actual page instead of under my thread. That I won't delete. Or post the comment here... unless it's hateful or obscene I won't delete that either.

So, I've discovered that whenever I am walking home reflecting upon the great day I've had or my latest accomplishment, whatever it is that I've been reflecting upon has been destroyed or completely reversed before I make it to my front door. And that bites. I'm thinking maybe if I just don't think about my life and my life's progress and all that stuff that maybe I'll never have a problem again... and if I'm wrong, and problems persist - well, at least then I wouldn't be thinking about them:)

No comments: