Saturday, May 9, 2009

No no avocados are green

I went to the store earlier to pick up a few things - and while there noticed they had avocados - a rare treat in my little market.

Even more surprising - they were ripe and ready to be eaten!! Normally when I can find them they're bright green and harder than some rocks I've stumbled upon while out walking.

I filled my cart and when to check out. The woman checked everything but set the avocados aside for the end - then asked me something. I told her I don't speak much Czech and she started to look in the book - I offered up, in Czech the cost marked on the sign, but she told me she need the name. I said, "Oh avocado" it's rather similar in Czech... she looked at me and said no, then called her co-worker over - who also said, "avocado". I agreed with her and repeated "avocado".

Then the original checker looked at both of us like we were crazy. Her response - "No, avocados are green."

No comments: