Wednesday, May 20, 2009

so out of the literary loop

And I mean that in quite a few different ways... but the area of my focus this instant is all about reading... I am a reader - now a pleasure reader instead of a critical or professional reader, but still a reader. I love to get lost in a book - and lost I truly get. If I'm reading you will have better luck having a conversation with your shoe than you will getting a response from me. It has annoyed my Mom, my siblings, my Dad, my (ex)husband, my kid... and at times even me cause I don't have a clue what's going on around me.

Fortunately I've somehow got it down so my brain/body responds on the metro - I never know where I am but I stop reading to check it out about 2 stops before I need to get off for school - time enough to finish my page and re-pack my bag before my stop.

Again - though not what I'm really thinking about.

About 2 months ago my Mom was visiting and she truly indulged me with an unexpected shopping expedition (make that 2) at a few bookstores.... I've been caught up in school, the job stuff, and life and haven't had a chance to really jump in to anything much lately, but now I am. I'd been reading some Pynchon and was looking at some more of his stuff when a guy recommended Haruki Murakami to me. I hadn't heard of him but picked up the book and read the back cover. And from here I quote the New York Times, " Critics have variously likened him to Raymond Carver, Raymond Chandler, Arthur C. Clarke, Don DeLillo, Philip K. Dick, Bret Easton Ellis and Thomas Pynchon - a roster so ill assorted as to suggest Murakami is in fact an original"

OK there are a few names in there that I love - some consistently, some not as consistently (that would be you Mr. BEE - Luna Park? WTF? Blah). And I decided to pick it up.

I am loving what I'm reading. And was wondering why I'd not heard of this guy before, and really feeling like I'd found someone cool and special - sort of like when I was reading an advance copy of that book Nick Hornby wrote... damn it brain freeze.... John Cusack, as much as I love him, really pissed me off when the movie came out.... sort of like that, but not at the same time.

Anyway, back to my original thought - yesterday one of the guys in my annoying class was reading the same book. Coincidence. Today - I sat down on the tram ride home (before I fell asleep) and a girl sat down facing me - she was reading a book by the same author... but in Czech so I have no clue as to whether or not we were reading the same book too.

I have never heard of the guy before and now I feel like I'm surrounded by him. I haven't finished the book yet but I already plan on tracking down his others... and then checking out the few authors referenced in the review that I'm not familiar with.

In the interim... I have 2 papers to write and then am only taking one class at a time during the summer... I plan on spending plenty of time outside, enjoying the sun, with a good book in hand. So, if you'd either like to join me or have some recommendations I would really appreciate hearing from you. All genres - except romances and westerns - considered.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ive been surrounded by Murikami for ages and wish he would piss off since i think his books are so completely boring and funny in that huh thats quite amusing way and everzone else seems to like him. especially those kind of people who read two books a year

could you pass the peace please said...

so step beyond the disdain and offer up some suggestions :)

if you've been surrounded at one point you must have enjoyed him a bit - or else you're masochistic... i enjoyed the nick hornby for what it was... lighthearted fluffyiness - and haven't liked anything much since then... too forced for me.

i want something more than lighthearted fluffiness... something that will make me think and laugh and cry - and yes, i cry quite often while reading.

right now i'm more at 2 books a week - trashy little things - which is why i'm seeking something more.

Anonymous said...

Read The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz - if you haven't already. I personally loved it.

Julie

Unknown said...

anything by Tom Robbins ;)